Monday, July 27, 2009

C O N T R O L

As you may or may not know I am addicted to music. There I said it! I LOVE ALL types of music. I could listen to anything from Frank Sinatra to Beyonce'. I am always looking for old music -mainly to watch and hear it's evolution from the 20's till now. I find it very fascinating. You can actually learn a lot from music and it's diversity.

So anyway last night, I decided to go through all of my father's old tapes and see would I might find. Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 was one of them.
I was really excited to find this tape because when it came out I was barely 1 years old and only heard a few tracks from it such as "Rhythm Nation" and "Love will never do without you".

One of my favorite things to do now that I am older and have an acquired ear for music, is to listen to older music that I didn't pay much attention to when I was younger. So I found my tape player and put the tape in.

From that moment I was taken into a world of social issues and a plead for the people of the world to make a change. After I listened to both side A and B lol I began to listen to her previous album Control.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better than Rhythm Nation 1814, I was wrong. Control really stuck out to me because of its clear message.

It's time for us to take control over ourselves and our lives. Once we hit that age when we claim that we're legal or "adults", we should be thinking for ourselves and most importantly living for ourselves. I think that it is so interesting how this message was written in the late 80's and it is 2009 and people still need to know this.

Every day I witness people falling into this materialistic hole that leads them to nowhere. We've had this conversation several times before. You know the one where I say, do what you want not what everyone else wants. The greatness of life depends only on how you live it.

This means don't live for your friends, your teachers and even your parents. Make WISE choices. Being in control does not mean being stupid or unreasonable. It also does not mean to shut everyone else's opinion out. The key is to listen to what people have to say and then you think to yourself what is best for you.

We all have our own personal key to life's door. No one else can turn the key for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment